A huge opportunity to create a healthier planet starts right underneath our feet.
Organic Genetics is committed to cultivating organic and sustainable cannabis and using regenerative horticultural practices to do so. As such, we aim to pioneer a business model that builds on regenerative practices throughout the value chain in the New Zealand medicinal cannabis industry. In our indoor facility, our future research and development team will aim to focus on exploring a variety of different cultivation methods that have a low carbon footprint without compromising on quality and effectiveness. These methods may include:
- Organic growing techniques, free from herbicides and pesticides
- Utilising energy-efficient lighting
- Maximising recycled content where possible
- Implementing a plan for maximising energy and water usage
- Developing sustainable practices across all stages of production
- Building our cultivation facilities to adhere to worldwide GAP (Good Agricultural Processes)
At our outdoor site, we aim to work closely with ANT Trust to develop and integrate regenerative practices to help both the land and the surrounding environment flourish. Cultivating hemp is also known to have a positive impact on global warming:
- Hemp grows to up to 4 meters in just 100 days, making it one of the fastest CO2-to biomass conversion tools available.
- It’s been proven to absorb more CO2 per hectare than any forest and can be grown using nutrient-poor soils, requiring very little water, and does not need fertilisers or herbicides to stay healthy and excel. Hemp crops are therefore an efficient way to help to combat increased levels of carbon dioxide.
- During photosynthesis, hemp removes carbon dioxide from the atmosphere to form carbohydrates that are used to build the structure of the plant. At the end of this process, oxygen is released back into the atmosphere as a by-product. By contrast, trees take significantly longer to grow and require much more space.
Going forward, we plan to work closely with a sustainability strategist and our landowners – together we are committed to making a positive difference for both our people and the planet.
If you would like to follow along on our sustainability journey, please sign up to our newsletter here for future updates.